New year resolutions still fresh – year of few regrets –I signed Ankit (12yrs) and myself up for a BMC organized scuba diving trip to Murudeshwara.
Summary of events:
- Went through a trip organized by BMC. There were five of us along with a driver and a co-ordinator.
- We left Friday night at 9pm and were back Monday morning at 7am.
- Drive to Murudeshwara took 10 hours each way. It was hard to sleep in the car - little tight on space and there are lots of curves and bends in the road along the away.
- After a short two hour nap we did a swimming pool lesson Saturday afternoon that last for two hours ( 30 min in the pool)
- Spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying touristy water sports and visiting the amazingly massive statue and temple there.
- Took a one hour ride to Netrani Island where we snorkeled while waiting for our turn to dive. There were other groups ( around 10 other people) that had come on other boats. We never docked at the Island but mainly swam, snorkeled and chilled on the boat.
- Came back, used the swimming pool lockers to bathe and change before having dinner and heading back to Bangalore.
- Ability to do all this over a weekend ( Thank you BMC)
- Scuba diving experience ( read first timer learnings here )
- Snorkeling while waiting for turn to dive.
- Option to do a second dive ( at Rs 1000/- extra)
- Seeing the sights of Murudeshwara
- Very good seafood at Naveen Beach Resort.
Not so great:
- Long drive back after a tiring day - it ensured we were back in town on Monday morning but if you have an option try to stay there another night.
- Having a sick driver popping pills and driving
- through hilly areas at night - once again ensured we were back by Monday morning.
- Being in the midst of co-ordination chaos with bad cell phone coverage. We were not always sure where and what was going on. This worked in a five person group but would have driven a bigger group crazy. All worked out in the end but there were frustrating moments.
Will I do this again? Yes !! I loved diving. The BMC trip was a great starter and as soon as Ankit and I get our swimming practice going and can do 200m with ease we will be going for a certification course.